Cleanses seem to be all the rage these days. Just what is a detox cleanse and why should you be interested?
The main reason to do a detox cleansse is to rid your body of the toxins that have accumulated over the years. These toxins come from the environment, prescription medicines, stress and physical trauma, and poor eating habits. When your body is overloaded with more toxins then it can effectively eliminate on own own, they deposit in your tissues as acid waste. Medical science has demonstrated that it is this acid waste that is the root cause of a variety of illnesses and disease. So, the more acid waste you have in your body, the more likely you are to be unhealthy and overweight.
Modern Fad or Ancient Health Secret
Detoxifying cleanses have been around for thousands of years. References to colon cleansing have been found in ancient Egyptian and Greek medical documents going as far back as 3,000 years. References can also be found on ancient Babylonian and Assyrian tablets, in Hindu medical texts and ancient Roman books. The use of an enema was also popular to rid the colon and intestinal tract of poisons and intestinal worms.
Whereas the ancient Chinese were masters of the use of the therapeutic juices and juice fasts. They understand how certain fruits and vegetables could be used to cleanse and support specific organ functions.
Today, the value of a good house cleaning is starting to become understood by the modern Western Medical Community. The practice is employed by many alternative health practitioners. While not the primary purpose of a Colonoscopy, one of the results is a good clean out.
Detox Cleanse – 5 Health Benefits
Detox cleanses come in many forms. Whether it be a 7 day juice fast, 3 day herbal tonic detox, 10 day green smoothie cleanse, or 6 week whole food cleansse, they all share the same goals – to cleanse the body of toxins and improve health and vitality.
While there are many health benefits of doing a detox cleanse, I am going to focus on 5 of the major ones.
- Neutralize Acid – Our physical health and vitality is dependent on maintaining the body's pH pH balance. This is the ratio between the acid and alkaline content of our blood and tissues. Ideally, that ratio should be between 7.35 and 7.45, which is neutral on the pH scale. Today, a lot of our health problems stem from our poor standard American Diet, which is highly acid-forming. This means that the food we are eating is causing an acid waste buildup in our bodies that is making us sick and fat. A detox cleansse is a great way to flush these excess toxins and make your body more alkaline.
- Strengthen Your Immune System – The more toxic you are, the harder your immune system has to work. As acid waste builds, your immune system becomes more suppressed until it can no longer fight off the toxic invasion. You get sick as a result. You become more susceptible to colds, flu and allergies. If the acid buildup continues, you are more likely to experience more serious diseases such as cardiovascular disease, obesity, osteoporosis, digestive issues, and cancer. Once the acid waste is neutralized, your immune system can regain the strength it needs to keep you healthy.
- Rest and Heal Digestive System – Most of the Standard American Diet is based on bad food combinations. Did you know that the enzymes needed to digest protein are secreted in the stomach? And that the enzymes necessary to digest carbohydrates are secreted in the mouth? Or that once the carb enzymes from your mouth reach your stomach that they prevent the secretion of the protein enzymes? So while the carbs are digesting, what do think happens to that protein? Leave meat in a dark, damp, warm place and what happens? It rots creating toxic gas. Think cheeseburger, pizza, turkey club or those popular breakfast sandwiches. While your system is working hard to digest this impossible combination, your organs are battling all of the resulting acid waste. Your digestive system will thank you for even 1 day off.
- Increased Energy and Vitality – Being overloaded with toxins puts a lot of stress on your body. When your body is in an acute state of stress it secretes the hormones cortisol and adrenaline to protect itself. If this condition lasts long enough, your energy reserves become depleted making you sick and tired. If you are tired all of the time, this could be the reason why. Once all of the excess acid waste is cleansed, your body will return to a natural state of health and vitality. The energy your body normally dedicates to digestion will also be available.
- Stimulate Weight Loss – Losing weight is almost impossible if your body is overloaded with toxins. In order to protect its vital organs, your body stores excess toxins in fat cells. The more toxic or acidic you are, the more fat you need. So in order to burn fat, you need to cleanse your body of toxins. A detox cleanse does just that. Once the toxins are gone, all of that storage fat becomes unnecessary making it easier for you to lose weight.
Doing a cleanse is a great way to begin a new diet or health regime. Once you rid your body of its toxin accumulation, it's easier to take stock of where you are at and what you need to focus on to improve your health and wellness. Of course, the lifestyle choices you make once the cleanse is over will be the determining factor. Now that you feel energized and rejuvenated, you will want to pursue eating regimes that help you maintain your body's optimum pH balance.